How joining the chamber of commerce can help you when starting your business!
It’s not secret that I’ve moved my business quite a few times. Being a navy wife, I often find myself starting my business over in brand new markets that are all SO different. BUT, one thing that they all have in common is your local Chamber of Commerce.
If you’re just starting your business and you’re looking to expand your network beyond your immediate circle, joining the Chamber of Commerce is a great way to get your name out there!
WHAT IS THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE?
The Chamber of Commerce is a local group of registered businesses whose SOLE purpose is to expand and promote local commerce (HEY THAT’S YOU!). The organization varies from place to place, but some ways that they promote local businesses include street fairs, ads in local print magazines/newspapers, city themed nights (think ladies night, trick or treating at businesses, etc.).
To join the chamber is fairly easy! There are typically dues that you pay every year, and then meetings that you can attend typically monthly or quarterly.
Why should you join?
Like I said before, the sole purpose of a local chamber is to make sure that local businesses are successful, so in and of itself it’s a really valuable tool to have at your disposal!
Aside from just existing, when the chamber holds community events that focus on businesses, it includes all businesses. I know what you’re thinking: BUT I DON’T HAVE A BRICK AND MORTAR! How can I be included in these events? That’s a very legitimate question, but if you are part of an active Chamber, often times they will allow you to partner with a non-competing brick and mortar chamber member when they have in-person events, so you can get your name seen even if you don’t have a physical location.
Top five reasons you should join your local Chamber of Commerce as a new or relocated business owner!
- Networking: While there are other groups you can join to network, your local Chamber of Commerce is going to have a vast array of business owners from various fields. It’s a great way to expand your circle outside of the normal genre you’re used to!
- Business to Business: Similar to networking, getting to know businesses outside of your immediate field through the Chamber of Commerce is a great tool. You never know how your business might mesh with another, creating opportunities that you may not have thought of before.
- Lower Cost Advertising: We all know and love (well, love/hate) social media, and it’s a great tool for getting business, but when it comes to advertising your business, the more avenues you use the better. Your local Chamber of Commerce will give you opportunities to advertise with them through various means throughout the year, which is a great way to get SEEN! They often do this at a lower cost than would normally be the case if you were to advertise alone.
- Community Events: Being involved in community events is another great benefit of the Chamber of Commerce! They often participate in local holiday events and gatherings, giving you an opportunity to be seen by the local community in a fun and interactive way (Girl’s night? YES PLEASE!).
- Overall Visibility: Many of us small business owners don’t have a brick and mortar. That means people aren’t just walking by our shop windows and thinking YES! I NEED THAT! When you’re a part of the Chamber of Commerce, you increase your visibility by participating in events, going to meetings, and just getting seen by another circle!
Joining your local Chamber of Commerce is a great tool when you’re just starting your business, or if you’re like me and just moved your business to a new city!
Running a photography business is tough, but I’m here to help! Trust me, I’ve been where you are: feeling like there’s just too much to handle. Being an island. Not having anyone to talk to who UNDERSTANDS! If that sounds like you, I would love to be the support that you need! Join my coaching waitlist today! You can also read a little more about what we do here at JMCC!